Friday 29 January 2016

Day 29 - A very british dilemma?

not my picture
So, stopping off on the way home to get 'essential supplies' for the weekend (bottle of wine...) I notice a homeless chap near the shop. I think I will give him my spare change when i come back out, but I always go through this terrible dilemma when it comes to doing this, Is it the right thing to do, am I making things worse, am i making things better, what if they are not really homeless? (yes i know i think too much sometimes). Anyway i realise i have less than a quid in change so as I walk round the shop I decide I will pick him up a sandwich and also select a pack of 4 snickers.
On the way out I say "I haven't got much change but you can have what I've got", then sort of make out like i didn't buy the food specifically for him but just happened to give him what i had in my bag. Why did i do this? why couldn't i just say "here, i got you this, hope its OK"?
Even then I am not happy when i walk away, what if he didnt need a sandwich but needed somethng like toothpaste? Should I have got him something hot? Should I have just done nothing? It appears I am not comfortable dealing with homeless people, but not through any fault of theirs, more a sort of awareness about my own faults.
Clearly I have issues to work on.

No comments:

Post a Comment